I can't believe summer is truly over and we've arrived in October! The leaves are changing color, everything is pumpkin-flavored and there's a chill in the air. While I could easily lament the lost long days of summer, autumn brings with it something positive: the excuse to cuddle up with a great new book!
Mysteries are probably my favorite genre, and the time around Halloween, when here in the US everything is decorated orange and black, and you can't turn a corner without getting caught in a fake spider web, is perfect for indulging in them. I am not and never have been a fan or horror, but I do love me a good caper, a creepy psychological thriller or a good old fashioned procedural. Below are thirteen of my favorite spooky reads, perfect for the season and that little chill down your spine. Let me know your favorites or recommendations in the comments.
Happy reading (just not after dark...)!!
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
2. Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney
3. Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton
4. Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
5. Blue Monday by Nicci French
6. Dracula by Bram Stoker
7. The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
8. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
9. The Secret Place by Tana French
10. A Place of Execution by Val McDermid
11. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
12. The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
13. Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris